Hi! 👋 I'm Roel Van Gils.
I'm a Digital Accessibility Nerd. For almost 15 years, I'm dedicated to helping organisations deliver websites, apps and services that anyone can use — including people with sensory, physical and cognitive disabilities.
I mostly work on the accessibility (and conformance) of websites, mobile apps (iOS and Android) and digital documents. More recently, I've started exploring the exciting possibilities of Voice Interfaces, Augmented Reality and Ubiquitous Computing.
- I'm a Certified Web Accessibility Specialist, and a proud member of the International Association of Accessibility Professionals.
- I have acquired expert knowledge of digital accessibility standards (WCAG 2.1 and EN 301 549), Inclusive Design best practices and front-end remediation techniques.
- I have a solid background in standards based Front-end Web Development and User Experience Design. Since 2000, I have worked for several digital agencies and government institutions.
- As a teacher and workshop facilitator, I've taught 1000+ digital professionals and students about accessibility and Inclusive Design.
- In 2006, I co-founded AnySurfer, a non-profit organization that strives for a more accessible internet for everyone.
- In 2018, I founded Eleven Ways, the first Digital Accessibility Lab of its kind in the Benelux area. We bridge the gap between design and development by including real users in the process of building digital products. We partner with digital agencies and government bodies that value the importance of Inclusive Design.
Need help with accessibility?
E-mail me at email@example.com, follow me on Twitter or reach out on LinkedIn to get in touch. For super urgent matters, I carry a phone with me as well: +32 473 88 18 06.